The Standards Committee oversees the Members' Code of Conduct and is responsible for considering complaints that a Member (Councillor) of the City Council or one of the 3 Parish or Town Councils may have breached the Code.
Information is available on:
The Procedure for Dealing with Standards Complaints explains how we will deal with a complaint that a Member or co-opted member of the City Council may have breached the Members' Code of Conduct.
Complaints should be made in writing to Lynne Bird, Monitoring Officer:
The Monitoring Officer,
Sheffield City Council,
Sheffield S1 2HH
Meetings of the Committee are held at 2.00 p.m. in the Town Hall, Pinstone Street on:-
- 24 July 2013
- 27 November 2013 - meeting cancelled
- 29 January 2014
- 26 March 2014
- Cllr Bryan Lodge (Chair)
- Cllr David Baker
- Cllr Penny Baker
- Cllr Roger Davison
- Cllr Alan Law
- Cllr Pat Midgley
- Cllr Peter Price
- Cllr Clive Skelton
- John Atkinson (Co-opted member)
- Edward Fleming (Co-opted member)
- Alan Casbolt (Co-opted member)
- 1 Co-opted member representing the Parish and Town Councils (Councillors Malcolm Glover, Andy Bainbridge or Nigel Owen)
Councillors Ian Auckland, Talib Hussain, Peter Rippon and Colin Ross.
Access the agendas, minutes and reports for meetings of the the Committee:-
Lynne Bird, Director of Legal and Governance, is the Monitoring Officer which is a statutory role, responsible for ensuring that the Council, its members and officers carry out their functions in a lawful and ethical manner.
The role includes:
- Supporting the Standards Committee and the 3 Independent Persons.
- Contributing to the promotion and maintenance of high standards of conduct within the Council.
- Maintaining systems and processes for dealing with allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct for Members.
- Investigating and reporting to the Standards Committee on allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct for Members.
- Having rights of access to any information from Members and/or officers in connection with a standards complaint.
- Establishing and maintaining registers of members' interests, gifts and hospitality;
- Acting as a point of contact for advice and/or queries by elected members;
- Maintaining and updating the Constitution.
- Advising on vires issues, maladministration and impropriety.
- Attending all meetings of the Cabinet whether public or private.
If you require any further information about this Committee, please contact Dave Ross, Democratic Services (email email@example.com or telephone 0114 273 5033).
The Code sets out the standards which are required of all members of the authority in carrying out their duties and in their relationships with the Council and its officers (Revised June 2013). (29.1 KB)
The process for dealing with complaints that a Member or Co-opted Member of the City Council or one of the three Parish and Town Councils has breached the Members; Code of Conduct (July 2013) (21.1 KB)
Report on the new Code of Conduct for Members and procedures for dealing with complaints about Members, establishment of a Standards Committee and guidance relating to disclosable pecuniary interests (364 KB)